While the London Olympics continue this week, we’re shifting our focus to another event that hits closer to home in the United States: the start of a new school year.
Here are some back-to-school fun facts:
- There were 77 million students enrolled in US schools from kindergarten through college in October 2009.
- Also in 2009, there were 7.2 million teachers in the US. Almost 3 million of those were teaching elementary or middle school.
- There are also 1.1 million students who are home-schooled (ages 5 to 17).
That’s a lot of kids (and teachers) heading back to school! And there will be a lot of money spent before the doors open this fall. A recent National Retail Federation study indicated that:
- The average family will spend $688 on back-to-school supplies this year.
- Estimates are that 39.6% of shoppers will take care of their back-to-school needs online.
- Online shoppers will spend an average of $874, roughly 27% more than the overall average.
Here are some of the great opportunities for folks of any age this week at Popular Community Bank.
On Tuesday, we’ll have a table at the 4th Annual Block Party at CHN Downtown Health Center in New York City where you can get answers to all of your banking questions. Make sure to stop by and say hi!
Also on Tuesday, small business owners in Chula Vista (CA) should plan on attending one of our great small business seminars at 6 PM.
Friday morning in Chicago, we’ll be at the Back to School Health Fair at the Riis Park Field House from 10 AM to 2 PM answering all of your banking questions.
And on Saturday, our friends in Jackson Heights (NY) can visit our table at Pena Food Grocery to ask banking questions as well.